Friday, September 7, 2012

Quick Fix french Bread Pizza


FAST FOOD FRIDAY...

"I'm too busy to cook."  "I worked all day."  "I'm Tired."   "I don't really want to go to the store."   Who hasn't heard or even said these words before?  Should you call for pizza?  Should you pick something up from the nearest drive through?  Nope, neither.  All you need is a little Food Fore-thought.  Fast Food Friday, a planned weekly post, isn't about running out to a local restaurant for take out or calling for delivery.  Fast Food Friday is about having something on hand for those days when cooking just seems impossible or even unappealing. 

 For today, let's talk about...

The Quick Fix

I don't know what it is about pizza.  That rich spicy ooey gooey goodness is hard to resist.  It's very rare to find someone who doesn't like it.  It's a very common "fast food" that people like to order out.  Make a call, wait 30 - 40 minutes, answer the door...  extremely easy.  However, it can become a very expensive habit.  Also, when I think about it, it's not all that fast when the kids are "starving" or you have some place to be.  Which is why I'd like to share with you a quicker  at home fix that is waaaaaay cheaper as well - the French Bread Pizza.


French bread pizza is a super simple yet satisfying fix.  All you need is a pre-made loaf of french bread, some sauce, cheese, and a topping.  If you're not into making bread, pick up a loaf when you do your weekly shopping.  If you're not sure that you'll use it right away, put it in the freezer.  It keeps well especially for this purpose.  Just be sure to pull it out the morning you know you'll need it.

Otherwise, I would say most people have the sauce, cheese and topping on hand.  I like to keep cans of tomato sauce for this, but I've used leftover spaghetti sauce in a pinch.  Cheese is something I buy in bulk as well as pepperoni.  Though any left over veggies would make a great pizza or maybe even some left over shredded BBQ chicken or ham.  

I just cut the bread lengthwise.  Preheat the oven, and start assembling.



Smother it with a good amount of sauce.  Top it with cheese.  Throw on some pepperoni.  


Bake it at 400 degrees.  After 15 minutes of baking, it's ready to serve.  While it's baking, you might throw together a salad or break out the chips and salsa.

Saving money and time... now that's what I like about fast food.

No comments:

Post a Comment