Monday, September 10, 2012

Apples


"Putting Up Food"  - Apples


Recently, I was given about 20 pounds of apples from my fil so this weekend had me putting up apples.  There are two main ways I like to do this.  One is to make and can applesauce.  The other is is slice and freeze them.  This is the route I went this weekend.  Sliced apples are good to have on hand to make pies, apple fritters, and my favorite, apple crisp.  Like green beans, it's not hard.  Just time consuming.


First, you wanna wash all of your apples.


Next, peel and slice.  Try to keep your apples evenly sliced for even cooking times later.


Then put into a citric acid bath to prevent browning.  I use this citric acid with good results.  Just put a teaspoon of it into about a quart of water.  After slicing the apples, I put them into the citric acid bath until I have enough to put into freezer bags.


Once you have a good amount peeled and sliced, remove them from the water and allow to drain.  Four to six cups of sliced apples will yield a pie.  You can freeze accordingly depending on how thick you like your pie.  I used quart sized bags which hold four cups.  The plan is to use these apples for apple crisp.

I can almost smell the cinnamony sweet goodness baking already.  How bout you?  Putting up any goodies lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment