Thursday, September 6, 2012

Swiss Steak and Veggies

Stewed Swiss Steak and Veggies


I got a new book in the mail the other day for free thanks to my Swagbucks.  The book I ordered was The Prairie Girl's Guide to Life [How to sew a Sampler Quilt and 49 Other Pioneer Projects for the Modern Girl].  Catchy title for me as I've been delving into new projects to learn new skills.  The book offers up a wide range of skills from cooking, to sewing, and making healing poultices.  

Catching my eye right away was the promise of a "perfect stew".  Maybe I was hungry.  Maybe it was the cool wet weather outside.  Regardless, the promise had me getting out the ingredients to whip it up for dinner.  Admittedly, I did not have all the necessary ingredients on hand so I had to streamline it a bit.  I did follow the ever important tips to get the best stew possible...
  1. Sear the meat in a hot skillet so that it retains it juices while cooking.
  2. Deglaze the pan after removing meat so that you can reclaim all the flavor left behind in rendered fat and crispy bits.
  3. Add the reclaimed juices and bits back in with the meat.
  4. Slow roast for  two and a half hours to achieve that tender cut with a fork finish.
The result was a very tender and flavorful piece of meat.  The veggie accouterments soaked up all the good flavor and were tender without being mushy.

Here it is pictures...

Sear the meat in oil by browning on all sides in a skillet over high heat.


While that's browning, prep your veggies.  I used red new potatoes, a medium onion, and carrots.  Wash and quarter as needed. 





 After you've browned the meat, remove it to your cook ware pan.  I used my covered stoneware.
Set this aside.


 Add a cup of water to your skillet and bring it up to a boil.  Gently scrape the bottom of the skillet while boiling to release all the bits and flavor.


Top the meat with your veggies.  Add seasonings as desired.  Mine is just salt and peppered.  Pour the hot liquid over the top.  Now it's ready to be slow cooked for 2 1/2 hours at 325 degrees.


So that's the basics for getting a perfect stew.  How do you prepare yours?  Any tricks or tips up your sleeve?

No comments:

Post a Comment