Wednesday, September 5, 2012


The CSA Report 

The CSA Report  will be a regular Wednesday post from now until October.  CSA, Community Supported Agriculture, is still a relatively new term to people so I want to expand on what it is, what it's all about, and what one could get out of it.  For me, I like the idea of getting fresh local produce on a prepaid and regular basis. By joining the CSA, I've made a commitment to local farmers that financially help them start their season. In return, I get the freshest of produce and a variety that I would not normally think to buy.  So I'll also be getting creative in the kitchen.



Week Fourteen...



What an excellent variety this week from the CSA - corn, peppers, green beans, seedless cucumber, tomatoes, garlic, onions, and potatoes.  I think with all the tomatoes rolling in, it's nearly time to make sauce for homemade pizza.  I like to keep it in the freezer in snack size ziplock bags.  It's the perfect size for pizza.  I'll put up a tutorial when the time comes.

On another note, my FIL sent me about twenty pounds of apples off of his trees.  Looks like it's time to make applesauce too.  I just love filling the cabinets and freezer with things to eat during the fall and winter.  I need to buy a bulk of sweet corn to freeze, but am still watching for the right price.  Last I saw it, it was $5 for a dozen.  Seems higher than I remember.  

No comments:

Post a Comment