Wednesday, July 11, 2012


The CSA Report 

The CSA Report  will be a regular Wednesday post from now until October.  CSA, Community Supported Agriculture, is still a relatively new term to people so I want to expand on what it is, what it's all about, and what one could get out of it.  For me, I like the idea of getting fresh local produce on a prepaid and regular basis. By joining the CSA, I've made a commitment to local farmers that financially help them start their season. In return, I get the freshest of produce and a variety that I would not normally think to buy.  So I'll also be getting creative in the kitchen.

Week six...














Here we are almost midway into July and the Spring vegetables are still producing.  Red Russian kale and Spring onions do make for some tasty soups.  With the good stock of potatoes that I have on hand, I think I'll combine the three and whip some up later this week.  I know...  It's a bit warm for soup, but it's such an easy lunch to have on hand.  

What I'm really excited about is the appearance of cucumbers in the bag.  That means it's nearly pickling time.  My own garden has produced a few cucumbers but not enough to can.  I am jumping the gun though by fermenting them instead.  Fermenting is something that's new to me and I am not real comfortable with it.  For now, I am hoping that I can share a success with you by the end of the week.  I got turned onto fermenting at Nourishing Days and also by reading "Nourishing Traditions".  There's a lot to be said for fermenting as a nutritious way to preserve food, but that's better saved for another post.

Not much else to say so I'll just close with a tasty picture...

BBQ chicken with bacon and Swiss on pretzel bread



For the tutorial on how to make your own pretzel bread, click here.



No comments:

Post a Comment