Thursday, July 5, 2012


The CSA Report (a day late)

The CSA Report  will be a regular Wednesday post from now until October.  CSA, Community Supported Agriculture, is still a relatively new term to people so I want to expand on what it is, what it's all about, and what one could get out of it.  For me, I like the idea of getting fresh local produce on a prepaid and regular basis. By joining the CSA, I've made a commitment to local farmers that financially help them start their season. In return, I get the freshest of produce and a variety that I would not normally think to buy.  So I'll also be getting creative in the kitchen.


Week Five...




This week's produce was actually delivered a day early due to the fourth falling on a Wednesday. While normally I would have cooked some of these goodies up with our dinner, the fourth threw that off as well.    "Let the festivities begin" was the motto for both Tuesday and Wednesday.  You see, we've been out and about attending cookouts, the parade, and fireworks shows.  Yes, it's been a little to busy around here to be cooking up fresh veggies.   We'll also be off on a one day stay-cation tomorrow and won't be cooking up anything fresh then either.  So though these veggies [ except for the Swiss chard] are all pretty good about sitting around a few days, some decisions had to be made. 


The Swiss chard has been given to our bunny rabbit.  It was beginning to wilt and I just didn't see us using it in time.  He is munching happily.  The beets, onion, and garlic have been put to the side as they'll keep for a while.  The radish and zucchini however, have made their way into the dehydrator.  I also put in some green peppers and tomatoes from the garden.  All of which will make for some tasty soup mixes this fall.  More on that topic tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment