Wednesday, August 1, 2012


The CSA Report 

The CSA Report  will be a regular Wednesday post from now until October.  CSA, Community Supported Agriculture, is still a relatively new term to people so I want to expand on what it is, what it's all about, and what one could get out of it.  For me, I like the idea of getting fresh local produce on a prepaid and regular basis. By joining the CSA, I've made a commitment to local farmers that financially help them start their season. In return, I get the freshest of produce and a variety that I would not normally think to buy.  So I'll also be getting creative in the kitchen.


Week Nine...

Don't be fooled, that watermelon is only about 12 inched long.  Too cute.  Emma was carrying it around like a baby.  Guess who got the first piece.  It's a good example how different varieties can be grown with a purpose in mind.  In this watermelon's case, it has to fit in the bag.  This watermelon is a Sweet Beauty.  It would be a good choice to grow if you like watermelon but have a hard time finishing off one of those huge ones.

On to the rest of the goodies...
  • potatoes
  • garlic
  • basil
  • carrots
  • squash
I have to say, one thing I like about picking up the CSA bag is the kids' curiosity.  They like to see what unannounced veggies we are getting and this has in turn helped them to learn what's what.  The curiosity has them asking.  Today as I went to put the bag in the trunk Emma asked me to put it on her lap so she could see what we got.  I had to smile when she said, "We got squash.  That'll be good on the grill.".  Yep, it will be.

I'm thinking of trying my hand at carrot cake today.  I've never made one, but the will of my sweet tooth will over come that.  The rest of the veggies will make for side dishes over the next few nights  The basil, squash and garlic is making me think pasta.  I'll have to see what I come up with.

Oh yeah, there was a really nice purple eggplant in the bag today, but that made it to the grill before the photo shoot ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment