Wednesday, August 8, 2012


The CSA Report 

The CSA Report  will be a regular Wednesday post from now until October.  CSA, Community Supported Agriculture, is still a relatively new term to people so I want to expand on what it is, what it's all about, and what one could get out of it.  For me, I like the idea of getting fresh local produce on a prepaid and regular basis. By joining the CSA, I've made a commitment to local farmers that financially help them start their season. In return, I get the freshest of produce and a variety that I would not normally think to buy.  So I'll also be getting creative in the kitchen.


Week ten...

We are now half way through the CSA season.  I have to say that I have been very happy with this year's veggies.  They are always of the freshest and best quality and just the right amount for the fresh veggie eating that we do.  I can't say that we are big veggie eaters though I am always trying to incorporate more.  This week brought green beans, pickles, peppers, Daikon radishes, zucchini, beets and mini cabbage sprouts.



I'm going to start dehydrating this week again.  I say that like it's a big chore - it's not.  I just haven't in a while.  I would like to have plenty of dehydrated zucchini and radish on hand for soup mixes this winter.  Seems hard to believe but I know cooler weather is just around the corner.  I am also planning to blanch and freeze the green beans for later use.  The rest will be eaten fresh.  I really have to find something yummy to do with beets.  They seem abundant this year.  Boiling only goes so far for appetizing.  

How's it looking in your bag?

No comments:

Post a Comment