Wednesday, June 20, 2012


The CSA Report

The CSA Report  will be a regular Wednesday post from now until October.  CSA, Community Supported Agriculture, is still a relatively new term to people so I want to expand on what it is, what it's all about, and what one could get out of it.  For me, I like the idea of getting fresh local produce on a prepaid and regular basis. By joining the CSA, I've made a commitment to local farmers that financially help them start their season. In return, I get the freshest of produce and a variety that I would not normally think to buy.  So I'll also be getting creative in the kitchen.


Today's pick up is just another reminder that we have been having awesome weather so far this year.  Although it looked as though we were heading into a drought, we got three and a half inches of rain last Saturday.  That certainly helps.  In fact, the weather has been so cooperative that blueberries have come in early.  Last year it was July before we had blueberries.  Though I'm planning to head to the u-pick this week to stock the freezer, a half a bucket full in today's CSA will make for a tasty treat.  On the menu for breakfast tomorrow - Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes with [local] Maple Syrup.

Lots of goodies in today's bag...

























Each week, the CSA sends an email with suggestions and recipes.  This week's recipe was wilted chard with garlic.  Basically, just sauteing it down with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice.   Chard is new to me so I'll have to try this out tomorrow (preferably because it doesn't keep long).  Kale is a hardier green that I normally think of going in to soups and stews.   However, this particular kale is tender and mild so it can be eaten as a salad green.  The potatoes and onions will keep for sometime, and the snap peas are going into the freezer for a future stir fry dinner.  


Do you eat chard or kale?  How do you prepare them?














No comments:

Post a Comment