Thursday, June 28, 2012


QUICK AND EASY SLAW


With the temperatures reaching over 100 today, it seems best to keep cooking to a minimum.  A cold side dish for dinner makes sense, and coleslaw is just that.  Not to mention, the CSA delivered a perfect head of cabbage yesterday.  So today, I'm sharing a recipe for coleslaw.  I don't know of too many people who would claim coleslaw as their favorite side dish, nor go out of their way to make it.  It's definitely not something I make.  In fact, the only way it has made it into our house is by tagging along side the fish from that fast food place in town.

So, "when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade", and when it gives you cabbage, you might as well not let it go to waste.  After perusing around the net looking at the numerous recipes online, I decided, "I got this.", and went with the basic route.   I used what I had on hand. 

The result is a cool, creamy, crunchy, and somewhat tangy side dish.  It'll go great with the grilled chicken on tonight's menu.   As a matter of fact, I could see it going great with many dishes.  So without further ado...


Quick and Easy Coleslaw

1 small head of cabbage (shredded)
1 medium size carrot (shredded)
1 tsp of salt
1 cup of mayonnaise
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/2 tsp of celery seed (optional)

Mix all ingredients, refrigerate, and serve cold.

Enjoy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment