Wednesday, June 27, 2012


The CSA Report

The CSA Report  will be a regular Wednesday post from now until October.  CSA, Community Supported Agriculture, is still a relatively new term to people so I want to expand on what it is, what it's all about, and what one could get out of it.  For me, I like the idea of getting fresh local produce on a prepaid and regular basis. By joining the CSA, I've made a commitment to local farmers that financially help them start their season. In return, I get the freshest of produce and a variety that I would not normally think to buy.  So I'll also be getting creative in the kitchen.


Week four...













Let me just be the first to say - "seriously".  Yep, that is my share of broccoli.  Let me just take a minute to remind myself that I only bought a half share, and that half share is dependent on what is harvest-able for the week.    It looks like I'll be taking cream of broccoli soup off the menu for the week.  But such it is when you belong to a CSA.  You are at the mercy of the field.  Delight in the bounty.  Frown otherwise.  Oh well, there's always next week.

Now, I'll be positive.  That broccoli, zucchini squash, and onion can and will be quite tasty in a chicken stir-fry.  Soup out.  Stir-fry in.  Done.  The lettuce won't last long.  We've been without for a few days and even the kids have been asking for it.  Salad then it is with tonight's pizza dinner.

I must say that after two trips to the u-pick patch this week, these blueberries are small potatoes.  The kids and I picked and froze 25 pounds of blueberries.  We'll definitely enjoy these fresh though.  Maybe even some more Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes.

Hmmm, now for the tough one - cabbage.  Let me expand my repertoire with this.  I would love to say I could make sauerkraut, but I can't.  I tried it once and it turned funky.  Any pointers would be appreciated.  I'll stick to something safer for now.  With all the Fourth of July picnics and cookouts coming up, I'm going to use it to make slaw.  As for the cilantro, for me, cilantro = salsa.  How bout you?  What tasty things will you be cooking up this week?



No comments:

Post a Comment