Monday, June 11, 2012




The pickles are coming...




















So are the tomatoes...


The peppers have arrived...

Look dead center.  It's there.  It's so cute in person :)


For some time now I've been debating what to write about in my first post.  Today, I decided.  I've decided to write what I'm excited about.   I am excited that my garden is producing, and I have big plans for that.  My plans include making sweet gherkin pickles, pizza sauce, and salsa.  All of which I want to post tutorials for.  Hopefully, my harvest will be ready to do so  in late June or early July.

For me, it's been rather experimental - my garden that is.  I have a few things working against me.  One, my yard is about 80% shade.  Vegetables don't like that much.  Two, oak trees make up that shade which doesn't help the soil much in terms of the right PH.  Three, we live on a hill.  If I could plant in the one decent sunny spot, it would cause for the soil to wash.  Did I mention that when we get a good rain that we have a river in our back yard?  Quite interesting.  Those will definitely be some pictures to post.

Back to the garden.  It's very basic.  I'm using containers - any that I can find.  The containers are on our small trailer which is movable should I desire to help the plants follow the sun.  I have around eleven tomato plants - Romas, cherry, and slicing tomatoes.  There are two broccoli plants which are not doing much, and a few pepper plants which are producing.  I also have six cucumber plants in containers next to our dog pen where they can trellis.  Emma, my daughter, wanted to buy a watermelon plant which now resides next to the pickles in a bucket.  Like I said - experimental.  

How is your garden shaping up?





1 comment:

  1. I love the way you're being creative to overcome the obstacles of your surroundings! May the Lord bless your efforts and make your plants exceedingly productive :)

    ReplyDelete