Thursday, June 14, 2012

A Plan in Mind is a blog about thoughtful homemaking.  For me, thoughtful homemaking helps me manage my resources and make the most of what I've been given.  In my 22+ years of homemaking, I have come to realize that you get closest to what you want when you have a plan.  You might not get exactly what you want as things don't always turn out the way you plan, but at least you're heading in the right direction.

My plan never included Hostas, but they are in fact what grows in our yard.



A plan can be as simple as what to have for dinner or as complex as where you want to be years from now. For the last couple of years my plans have revolved around minimizing household expenses, learning new skills that will help me do so, and living thoughtfully for tomorrow and years to come.  As it turns out, these plans have given me hobbies that I enjoy, a sense of contentment and satisfaction in making my own things, and low and behold, a minimized household expense sheet.

But back to the intentions of this blog.  I want it to be a resource to readers - be it a new recipe, way of doing something, new skill, etc..  Two years ago, I had never baked bread, rolled out a pizza crust, made pajamas for me and the kids, preserved food by canning, or recovered hand-me-down deck cushions.  In the last two years, I've never taken a class to do any of these things.  I've been like you - reading online.  Independent learning at it's finest.  Yes, it's been trial and error, but ultimately success.

Now it's time to pay it forward.  The plan is to blog about gardening, cooking, baking from scratch, stretching resources, minimizing cost, and how-to tutorials.