Monday, June 18, 2012

Making Plans...

It's nothing tremendously important - just this week's dinner menu.  In making my plans, I got a little stumped.  Remember I had told you I got a 1/4 beef from Seven Sons?  Well, part of the standard package that I got comes with round steak.  I don't buy round steak at all.  When I was growing up, my dad made round steak.  It was laid flat and topped with stuffing.  He then rolled it up and held it together with toothpicks.  That was then baked in the oven.  Two words... dry and tough.  Since I'm not that into ketchup anymore, round steak has since lost it's appeal .  Anyhow, Emma and I were due for a trip to the library.  She got Biscuit books.  I got a little inspiration.
















It has become unbearably hot to cook and I know I want the round steak to be moist and tender so I picked up a slow cooker recipe book.  Preserving the Harvest was something I had to have since I am anticipating putting up a lot of food this summer.  I haven't even looked at the Farm Food book yet, but I have been so intrigued by the idea of farming lately, the title caught my eye.

The slow cooker book was a score.  It has at least seven recipes  that use round steak.  They all sound good - Mexican Sound Steak, Swiss Steak, Philly Steak and Cheese, BBQ Beef, and others.  I've decided to go with the one whose ingredients I already have on hand -Saucy Pepper Steak. It has tomatoes and peppers in it so it's perfect with the garden coming in.

Aside from the round steak, our menu for the week is looking like this...

Monday - Stuffed Shells with French Bread (working on the bread tutorial )
Tuesday - Honey Mustard Chicken Strips with Salad
Wednesday - Saucy Pepper Steak
Thursday - Homemade Cheesy Broccoli soup and sandwiches
Friday - Tacos with refried beans
Saturday - Hamburgers on the grill
Sunday - I'm leaving open for suggestions

What tasty things are you serving up this week?









No comments:

Post a Comment